Text of an Article
from "Keep In Touch" (Retired Teachers Association of MB, Winter 2008)
dedication of the cairn, commemorating the old schools, by M.C. Rev.
Stu Anderson on Sunday, October 14, 2007, at 2 p.m. was an uniquely
Committee Chairperson, Bruce Francis, raised
flag on the new flag
staff as the assembly sang "0 Canada."
Joan (Griffiths) Kitson and Mary (Mathews)
unveiled the cairn, joined
by other Committee members:
Bruce Francis-Chairperson, Vivianne (Riddell)
Howard, Irene (Small) Magwood,
Ella (Roe) Jarvis, Joan (Griffiths) Kitson, Lorraine (Hawkins) Kushner,
(Hoath) Sumner, Joan (McKinnon) Madill, Evelyn (McKinnon) McKenzie,
(Matthews) Kuharski, Helen (Thomson) Ford, Doreen (Bradley) McLeod,
Fred and Doreen had fielded the idea of a
Rev. Stu Anderson read the plaque dedication:
Schools dedicated in
2007 in remembrance of the pioneers, former trustees, teachers and
The three old schools are pictured and dated.
The cairn structure, on a cement base, is
of building blocks unique
to Arden. These particular blocks are from the former Harry Snell farm
situated approximately two miles west of the south end of Arden. They
donated by Mr. and Mrs. Mike Saj who now own the property. These blocks
a unique Arden historv. In 1904 the Arden "Cement Block and Building
came into being as J. A. Gilhuly. George and William Stockdale, Robert
Sam McGorman and Maurice E. Boughton each contributed $100 to form the
Arden sand mixed with cement formed each block.
Men with an Arden connection built the cairn.
Suski gave the leadership
and expertise. He was assisted by Dennis Gagnon, Gareth Henderson,
Francis, Abe Enns, Brian McCutchin, Douglas Campayne and
Rev. Stu Anderson.
Under the guidance ofM. C. Rev. Stu
following people brought
greetings: MLA Stu Briese, Reeve Richard Funk, Heritage Committee
representative Douglas Popkes, Bruce Francis.
Homer Gill, a student of the 1930-1940 years
later a teacher, recalled
interesting stories and events of those days. He invited students of
the 1930 to 1935 years to ioin him. These "students" came to the front
took their place behind him, in front of the cairn: Bill Matthews,
(Gill) Kerr, Helen (Thomson) Ford, Rev. Stu Anderson,
and Rev. Keith Boughton. Most notable,
still seated in the audience, was John Bucksovich, now 92 years of age,
had attended Arden School during the 1920's.
The cairn's preparation and construction was
financed by the residue moneys
from the 2006 Reunion, from the Lansdowne Heritage Committee and from
A grant is yet expected from Heritage and
the Manitoba Government.
Some minor work has yet to be finished at the site.
The history of the Arden Schools was begun in
with the formation of
the Arden School District.
While the school district dates to 1884, the
school was only ready
for classes in June, 1887. This building burned in 1890. A new building
In time it became known as the High School.
With increasing settlement in the Arden area
Middle School was build
in 1909. The consolidation of Arden School District #341 took place in
In 1920, George Stockdale built the Little
With the guidance of Principal Mrs. Mollard
Wilmot Gill, Grade twelve
was added in 1939.
The Little School housed Grades 1 and 2, the
School, Grades 3 to 5.
High School had Grades 6 to 8 on the south
north side was split
to house Grades 9 and 10 on the east side, Grades 11 and 12 on the west.
Consolidation brought students in for high
from the surrounding school
In 1954, the new school was built on the
site. The Little School was moved to its present
location on the south side of the
municipal office. An addition was constructed. It is now the Seniors'
The Middle School was moved to be a residence,
in Neepawa with a further
move to Onanole.
The High School fell apart as
attempted to move it over
the South Arden Crossing. The pieces became a Legion hall as well as
of the Snelgrove house and possible part of the Ben Free garage.
On June 26, 2001, the "New School" was closed.
School students were
transported to Neepawa some years earlier. The elementary students from
fall of 2001 on-ward are also taking their schooling in Neepawa.