and the R.M.
General Trends in the 1920’s
Throughout the prairies communities erected various memorials
commemorating the sacrifice and service of those who participated in
the “Great War.”
On farms and in businesses trucks were replacing horses for everyday
Commercial travelers now use cars making them more flexibly mobile.
This trend eventually led to the decline in demand for hotel rooms and
of course a decline in rail passenger traffic.
Many communities reached the peak of business expansion in the pre-war
years. We see stores changing hands, closing - the
same decline is seen in housing, again communities had expanded
to the natural capacity.
The adoption of a car-based transportation economy saw the expansion of
car-based service – gas stations, auto repair shops.
In recreation, tennis and cricket declined. Hockey continued to grow,
as did curling.
Radio helps connect remote hopuseholds to the rest of the world.
Roads replace Rails….
Automobile Road Map of Manitoba (1924)
Emmett, A.C. Automobile Road Map of Manitoba [map]. 1:760,320.
Winnipeg: Stovel Company Ltd., 1924.
Image Courtesy of University of Manitoba Archives & Special
(Morris Block fonds, MSS 207, A.05-43)
Lansdowne boundaries amended – to their present form.
New primary school building erected – to accommodate additional
students resulting from the school consolidation.
Arden in the early 1900's
A by-law is passed to establish a fire hall.
Robert Milne of Mekiwin is nominated to the candidature for the
He is elected by a 4,800 vote majority in the federal election.
Sinclairville School District #2063 formed. It operated until about
Tenders are called by D. Paterson, Sec., Berton, for the erection of a
one-roomed school on SE 4-14-12.
The General Store of the Berton Trading Co. burned to the ground in
November. Owners Mr. and Mrs. Green, who lived in the rear end of the
store, lost complete contents of store and house.
Council is to apply to the Good Roads Board for assistance in repairing
bridges due to serious spring flood¬ing and run-off. Seven major
bridges were seriously af¬fected.
New Railway Station built in Arden.
The village of Berton is re-named Helston as the name Berton was also
in use in Alberta.
Council hired a permanent Health Officer with as¬sistance from the
Village of Arden and dispensed with the service of a nurse.
The Council took over title to the Arden skating and curling rink.
Council along with Langford & Rosedale expressed their disapproval
of the opening of beer depots in Neepawa.
Letter postage rates were reduced to 2 cents.
E.G. Hipwell, Arden storekeeper, founded an industry that produced
fruit flavored syrups. Taken over by his son, Justin, it later became
Hip’s Fruit Flavored Syrups and its products are marketed across Canada.
J.R. Foreman, Justin Hipwell, Ben Bradley
Dominion Rust laboratory set up in an effort to isolate rust-resistant
varieties of wheat.
The Patriotic Society was granted $700.00 towards the war memorial.
Council took title to the sports grounds, east of Arden and put it
under management of the Arden Village district.
George Stockdale was entrusted with the building of the office vault
for $500.00 to $600.00.
The War Memorial was unveiled on August 22.
Congregations of St Andrew’s Presbyterian and Methodist unite. Services
held in St. Andrews.
The minister lived in the Methodist parsonage.
Mekiwin Cemetery established.
A crow’s eggs bounty is set at one cent per egg and one cent for each
leg. Any teacher could issue certificates for the same.
The official opening of the new hall at Keyes held in November.
The stained glass War Memorial window is unveiled and dedicated at
Keyes Anglican Church in June.
Inaugural Session of the United Church 1927, after Union.