... 1900 -
1901: Queen Victoria dies, Jan. 22. Edward the VII reigns.
1901: Marconi sends the first radio signal across the Atlantic.
1903: Ford Motor Co. established to manufacture automobiles
May 15, 1909: an Earthquake is felt across the prairies.
1901: Manitoba’s first Hydro-electric plant opens on the Little
Saskatchewan River northwest of Brandon.
1906: Manitoba farmers organize the “Grain Growers’ Grain
Company” with shares available at $25. For any farmer wanting to
1908: Manitoba Government Telephones takes over the telephone service.
and the R.M.
The communities in Lansdowne have reached what is termed the
consolidation era (following the pioneer and establishment eras).
Services are established, village layouts are established, and
transportation lines are in place. The initial spurts of growth have
settled. Hastily erected frame buildings are replaced with more
substantial houses and stores. Recreational and cultural options are
New two-room school built in Arden.
Arden School and student transportation.
A store and stopping place on the trail to Dauphin, operated by Edwin
Ramsey on SE 19-17-14, closed in the early 1900’s.
Keyes Union School District #1068 (Midway) formed. It operated until
Mekiwin Church built.
The C.N.R. completes the Hallboro-Muir line giving service to Berton, a
small village on NE 25-13-13. (Later re-named Helston)
A cyclone destroys the home of John Muirhead in the Berton region. Con
Bennett is killed in the storm.
Council establishes the Arden Nuisance Ground. A surveyor is hired to
survey the Arden-Edrans Ridge Road.
Dr. Gahan appointed health officer of 1902.
Peter Broadfoot of Gladstone builds an elevator in Berton.
The Church of the Ascension built. It closed in 1976, and was torn down
A by-law is drawn up respecting telephone lines.
A grant of $1000 is to be paid over two years towards the construction
of Neepawa Hos¬pital.
Second Elevator (the Western Canada) built in Berton.
Mr. Christalaw builds Berton’s first store.
The Salisbury Shamrock Ball Team has a very successful season.
The Salisbury Shamrocks Baseball Team
Methodist parsonage built. Later home of the United Church minister.
Council approves the erection of a Warren Steel Truss Bridge on the
boundary line, east of Sec 13-18-13, provided a government grant of
$1000 is received and Mr. Ferguson gives the necessary land.
Arden Cement Block and Building Co. established and Harmon S. Palmer
cement block machine ordered. (The cement block machine was last used
in 1959 by local carpenter Frank Stanglmaier.)
The Lansdowne Municipal Building is first building constructed by the
Cement Block Co. The gravel excavated from the basement is used to make
On May 19 a petition is submitted for re-adjustments of Tenby and
Goodlands School Districts and forming of one new dis¬trict.
A new Tenby School is built of concrete blocks. The school closed in
1967 and the district was dissolved in 1968. The building is a
municipally designated historic site.
Tenby School, one of the first concrete block structures built in the
The Plumas – Lansdowne Agricultural Society formed.
Orange Ridge cheese factory ceases operations.
Council is to undertake and erect a five ton weigh scales at a suitable
place in the Village of Arden.
On Aug. 31, the total eclipse of the sun is witnessed about 5:30 a.m.
by area residents.
A grant is given to Edrans Cemetery of $25.
Public vote to operate a Municipal owned Telephone System is not
approved by ratepayers.
W. L. McNair, Reeve of Lansdowne, appointed to the Royal Commission on
the Grain Trade, to represent Manitoba.
Presbyterian Women’s Missionary Society formed.
Post Office established in Keyes, at the J.A. Christlaw residence.
Eddington School #933 opened. Closed 1955.
Fire destroys the Arden Flour Mill
Arden Flour Mill
J. Foster Sr. receives a patent on a machine for tightening and
stretching wire fences.
Second Ayr School built.
A bylaw stipulates that: “ No persons shall bathe or wash in any public
waters within the village of Arden unless clad in a suitable costume.
An Act to amend the Municipal Boundaries Act. (assented to March 10th,
1909 provides that Lansdowne shall be: townships numbered thirteen and
fourteen in range numbered thirteen west and townships numbered
fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen and the south halves of townships
numbered nineteen, in ranges numbered thirteen and fourteen west.”
Additional school building built in Arden.
Berton Hall (later Halston) built for community use by Charles Dobson
using his own funds.
Messrs Shackleford and Richardson open up a General Store in Berton
Village on March 1st.
A public meeting held in Keyes School March 20th to discuss the
advisability of having a telephone central at Keyes.
Pembroke School, which closed at Christmas for the winter, had its
promotion at the end of the year.
Item from the Gladstone Age press:
“Sunday Cigar Selling. This form of violation of the Lord's Day Act is
one of the most common throughout the Dominion. Many of the hotels,
restaurants and other places carry on their trade in tobacco as on