and the R.M.
H.Y. Hind surveyed the “Upper Whitemud Trail.”
1867: 112 Red River Carts travelled the Carleton Trail to Edmonton.
The Lansdowne Region in 1850 – 1869
The Carleton Trail
Many Lansdowne residents are proud of the fact that the Carleton Trail
originally crossed over portions of their land.
"The trail branched at Portage la Prairie into two alternative routes
for the next ninety miles or so. The southern branch continued in a
westerly direction for about twenty miles and then veered slightly to
the south¬west as it passed through the district around the sources of
Squirrel Creek and Pine Creek. This branch appears to have followed an
old buffalo-hunting trail for some dis¬tance before it (the buffalo
trail) turned to the southwest. The southern branch of the Carleton
Trail departed from the old hunting trail near the west side of 7-11-8
Wl. From this point it travelled in a northwesterly direction, passing
about two miles west of Gregg (a station on the main line of the C.N.R.
about midway between Portage la Prairie and Rivers, Man.). Continuing
in a northwesterly direc¬tion, it crossed the White Mud River near
Oberon and the Minnedosa (Little Saskatchewan) River about four miles
west of the present town of Minnedosa. It rejoined the northern branch
of the trail about twenty miles west and five miles north of that town.”
"The Carleton Trail", by R. C. Russell
This map from 1870 shows that settlement in
Manitoba had not extended
far from the valleys
of the Red and Assiniboine near Winnipeg. That
about to change .